Chic mama Beauty, should you dye your hair while pregnant? March 12 2013
It’s debatable that dying your hair causes birth defects for they haven’t been proven safe or unsafe. However for some women the question if you should dye your hair while pregnant seems to come up as soon as the roots start popping up. I know the Beauty Editor at my office says not to unless you are a few months in and the scalp isn’t touch. Also, when you set up the appointment ask the salon what dyes they use and if they regularly service pregnant women. I had the itch to highlight my hair while in my last trimester, I chose a high end salon that uses European brands since Europe sets strict limits on chemicals. The chi chi salons take the time to do your hair well, at least this has been my experience, when I called the salon they asked me many questions before they booked me. The highlights were a fortune and as you know I now do my own highlights but when expecting I believe you leave it to the experts.
The following safety tips from American Pregnancy should be followed when chemically treating your hair:
- Consider waiting until the second trimester for hair dye, bleaching, permanents or straightening.
- Have the treatment completed in a well-ventilated area.
- Don’t leave the chemicals on your head any longer than necessary.
- Rinse your scalp thoroughly with water after treatment.
- Wear gloves when applying chemicals.
- Carefully follow directions on the product package.
- Do a patch test for allergic reactions before completing the process
- Never dye or bleach eyebrows or eyelashes. This could cause swelling or increase risk of infection in the eye area.