DIY Clay Bead Necklace October 13 2015, 0 Comments
My sister in law Bee sent MB this DIY Clay necklace tutorial she and my (beautiful) niece made. Bee knows I am craft challenged and swears this is easy which after reading the instructions it seems pretty simple and a fun project to do with the kids. Gracias Bee and Hazelita!
1. Supplies needed: sculpey in color of choice (oven-bake clay), toothpick, string, oven.
2. Roll the sculpey into balls. Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.
3. Using the toothpick, poke a hole through each ball. Make sure the hole will be wide enough for the string to fit through.
4. Place the sculpey balls onto a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil (or you can use a beading rack, if you have one).
5. Place the baking sheet on the top shelf of your oven. Eyeball your beads- for every 1/4 inch in diameter, you will bake for 15 minutes. These were a bit bigger than 1/4 inch, and I kept them in the oven for 15 minutes. Do not over bake.
6. Remove beads from oven, let cool (about an hour).
7. Cut string 18" long (or desired length). I like to have the necklace slip over the neck so that I don't have to keep tying and untying it. I used suede cording, which has a bit of stretch. String the beads in the order you want them on your necklace.
8. Tie the ends of the necklace together. my kiddo loved this project- so we wound up making several necklaces. So easy and fun!
Photo: Bee Zizzo