Mexican pizza for the kids. June 25 2013, 0 Comments
I grew up eatting these 'pizzas' and think it's time to start making them at Casa Ladd especially since you can go the healthy route with subbing the chesse with soy cheese and the tortillas can be spelt. Healthy yum.
- 1¼ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can Black Beans, drained
- ½ cup salsa, mild or spicy (you can also make a non spicy pico de gallo with chopped tomatoes and onion sans the spice)
- 2 ounces canned chopped green chiles (I skip these)
- Can add 2 ounces pulled pork, chorizo (casing removed), or shredded roasted chicken (delete for vegetarian version)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Mix half the Cheddar cheese with the Monterey Jack cheese in a bowl; set aside.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil and arrange tortillas in a single layer. Puncture each tortilla a few times with a fork. Sprinkle remaining Cheddar cheese evenly over 4 of the tortillas, then cover each with a remaining tortilla. Bake 5-6 minutes or until browned slightly.
- While tortillas bake, heat remaining oil in a skillet and cook onions until browned. Add beans and partially mash with a potato masher or the back of a fork.
- Remove tortilla pizzas from oven and top each with bean mixture, spreading evenly. Top with salsa, green chiles, pulled pork or chorizo and cheese mixture.
- Return to oven. Bake until cheese melts, about 10-20 minutes.
Photo and recipe(slightly modified by Motherburg) via she wears many hats