Mexican pizza for the kids. June 25 2013, 0 Comments
- 1¼ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can Black Beans, drained
- ½ cup salsa, mild or spicy (you can also make a non spicy pico de gallo with chopped tomatoes and onion sans the spice)
- 2 ounces canned chopped green chiles (I skip these)
- Can add 2 ounces pulled pork, chorizo (casing removed), or shredded roasted chicken (delete for vegetarian version)
- Heat oven to 350°F. Mix half the Cheddar cheese with the Monterey Jack cheese in a bowl; set aside.
- Brush a baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of the oil and arrange tortillas in a single layer. Puncture each tortilla a few times with a fork. Sprinkle remaining Cheddar cheese evenly over 4 of the tortillas, then cover each with a remaining tortilla. Bake 5-6 minutes or until browned slightly.
- While tortillas bake, heat remaining oil in a skillet and cook onions until browned. Add beans and partially mash with a potato masher or the back of a fork.
- Remove tortilla pizzas from oven and top each with bean mixture, spreading evenly. Top with salsa, green chiles, pulled pork or chorizo and cheese mixture.
- Return to oven. Bake until cheese melts, about 10-20 minutes.
Photo and recipe(slightly modified by Motherburg) via she wears many hats