Gâteau au yaourt/Cooking with Toddlers
Lucky for me my mother in law is in town! Its so special to have her visit from Paris as she’s very good at whipping my husband in shape ;) and doing odd jobs around the house we never seem to get done. I sure lucked out having such an awesome lady in my life!
Yesterday night she suggested making a gateau au yaourt with my daughter. She said it was a great way for children to learn how to bake a cake. The concept is simple: all the ingredients can be measured using a yogurt cup and mixed by toddler hands! Awesome uh?
I did a bit of research and here is the recipe via Food.com:
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml plain unsweetened yogurt (preferably whole milk)
- 200 g sugar
- 80 ml vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla bean paste or 1 teaspoon extract
- 1 tablespoon light rum
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C), line the bottom of a round 25-cm (10-inch) cake pan with parchment paper and grease the sides.
- In a large mixing-bowl, gently combine the yogurt, eggs, sugar, vanilla, oil, and rum. In another bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture into the yogurt mixture, and blend together — don’t overwork the dough.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan, and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean. Let stand for ten minutes, and transfer onto a rack to cool.
You can add any sort of fruit or chocolate chips too!
For more ideas and recipes on cooking with toddlers, 2 great blogs:
-Corner Blog - Love this lady! Her blog is awesome. She makes me want to stay home all day and cook!
Posted by: Jessica Glorieux
Photo: Rock your baby