There are a handful of my mom friends who are gearing up to go back into the work force this September. Eeeek. No, really they'll be fine, but it is an adjustment going from a casual wardrobe to one that is more work appropriate. Unless you have oodles of cash the best way to start is by building your look with some core pieces. These pieces can later be supported with other items once you have gotten an idea of what works for both you and your new job. I always suggest at least two bottoms to start with. One a bit dressy, if your new job is the right place for this, one pant that is not quite a jean but has the comforts of denim. Tops that can be worn with a sweater or a blazer and at least one dress for meetings or just when you want to be a bit dressy. I'll get into shoes later this season however if you're uncertain how dressy your new work environment is start with a great flat and add height from there.
Trust your intuition on what you feel is going to make you feel great. Don’t go nutty on trends, as they can age you unless you have other trends and many classics to anchor around these pieces. Ask your girlfriends for frank advice, tweet or Facebook us if you have a question, look at pinterest for inspiration. Really there is great advice out there for moms going back to the workforce world and you will kill it when you go back mom!
1. Equipment Riley Tee via Piperlime (Tip: You can find Equipment at half the price at TJMaxx and Marshalls)
2. Hooded Cape with piping via Zara
3. Ensign Necklace via Madewell
4. Front Snap Trousers via Zara
5. Silent + Noise Wristlet Wallet via Urban Outfitters
6. Ecote Suede Patchwork Tote in grey via Urban Outfitters
7. Irini Slip- On Sneaker via Loeffler Randall
8. The ropes metallic cape via Jcrew
9. Apiece Apart Toye Fawn Dress via A Piece Apart
10. Santeen Pant with Zips via Jcrew?
Closet Edit, past post I did on re-working your wardrobe.