Chic Mama- 7 Stylish Maternity Pieces $50 and under* November 05 2012
I finally sat down with Bee last week and worked on some maternity pieces she needed for work. I tend to suggest stylish pieces for I like stylish things. However, I would never say you should or should not wear something unless you are eyeing 5 inch heels (not safe.) It really is about how you feel and what personally works for you. For Bee who is a teacher she is on her feet and around young children all day, comfort is key. Starting with a basic maternity wardrobe and building around it with affordable pieces is key for her. For other expectant mothers a few dressier items are needed for meetings that work in a more corporate environment.
Basics maternity pieces we suggest:
- Camisoles/tanks. There are also a great selection of cami’s with shelf bras for extra support.
- Maternity black leggings and comfort tees are always Kohls at a great price. I wore leggings almost daily to work and added one of the 3 dressy tops I purchased when I had important meetings.
- Ballet flats or loafers with a rubber sole or add duct tape to make slip proof. A stylist trick is to scratch a wooded sole with the sharp end of scissors. If you tend to walk a lot buy a shoe that is well made. Jcrew tends to have they’re shoes made in Italy and they often go on sale, I found some great flats for under $70 .
- Open long sweater. Comfort is key and during the cold season and staying warm is essential.
6. This boot is the ultimate comfort for a woman carrying extra weight. As someone who constantly fell during pregnancy I learned my lesson, don’t fool around with the shoes-have a shoe that fits well and scratch the super high heels if you can.
*7. Unless you are one of those moms- to -be who is never tired (lucky you!)or doesn’t look tired then some color around the face is always nice. This is the only item that isn’t $50 ( is $60.) I couldn’t help myself, feeling extreme love for NYC post Sandy and j’adore this scarf.